Thursday, October 29, 2009

Christmas block swap

If you read my blog you know I recently participated in Jane's Halloween Spooky Spectacular block swap. I made 12 owl blocks and 12 nine patches and received 12 different halloween themed blocks and 12 different 9 patches. Those blocks have been assembled into a quilt top and I still have hope of having the quilt finished before Halloween is over - even if it means I am stitching binding Saturday night!

So last month I was at our monthly-ish meeting of our firehouse quilters group and I was showing everyone my blocks and telling them about the halloween swap. Bernadette says "why don't we do something like that?" and I replied "we should - and you can organize it!" and she did! So 9 of us each made 9 Christmas themed blocks and last Saturday we swapped them. They all go together so well and everyone did such a great job! There was already talk of a Snowman themed swap in January. So without further adeiu, here are the blocks (only 8 are shown here - Mary wasn't able to make it on Saturday so I don't have one of her blocks yet - I have seen then though and they are great - a redwork candycane. If you check her blog I'm sure she will post a picture soon.



I made Christmas stockings personalized with the recipient's name:



My block



Bernie made these adorable paper pieced Christmas presents:



Bernie's block



Sue machine appliqued angels - this was her first time doing applique and she did an unbelievable job!



Susan's block



Florence did gingerbread men and as always they were perfect!



Florence's block



Priscilla did Christmas trees - aren't they great?



Priscilla's block



Ann chose a snowman from Art to Heart - I love that blue background!



Ann's block



Megan made stars that as always are pieced perfectly - front and back are perfect!



Megan's block



Talin made mittens - check out the ribbon and button embellishments!

Talin's block



Speaking of Talin - I've been meaning to post for awhile to tell you about Talin's new blog. Talin is extremely talented and blows the rest of us away with her creations. She makes beautiful handbags as well as other things.

Update**** I managed to get a pic of Mary's block - she hand embroidered a candy cane on white on white snowflake fabric - a ton of work and so pretty!

Marys candycane


Have a pieceful day!

6 comments:

Teresa said...

Wow the blocks are wonderful... what a fantastic idea. Can't wait to see them all together

Needled Mom said...

I loved seeing all of the Halloween blocks and these Christmas ones are terrific as well. What fun!!!!!

Chookyblue...... said...

great blocks........they will look wonderful together.......

Karen said...

That was a nice spur of the moment block trade. The blocks will all look good together.

Talin's Corner said...

Caryn, you did a nice job photographing all our blocks, wish I was a better photographer.

Dresden Quilter said...

Are you doing Aunt Pitty Pat's Christmas swap? Thank you so much for showing all the Christmas blocks. I am doing the Christmas present for Aunt Pitty Pat's swap and I was worried about putting a border around the presents. I am not anymore. I just put my Halloween blocks on my design wall. I love your owl block and I am excited to put it together.