Friday, January 1, 2010

Thoughts for the New Year...

I have come to the realization that quilting resolutions or even goals for the new year are just pointless for me. I can start out with great plans but then a class or new technique or something catches my eye and the excitement of that carries me away from my plans - and that's okay, this is a hobby after all! It is supposed to be fun and inspire creativity. So I "resolve" to go in whatever creative direction the wind carries me.

That said, there are a few things I will try to fit in between the creative wind and the inevitable gift and swap projects I will commit to. This year those things revolve around trying to finish projects that create guilt by remaining unfinished (or in some cases unstarted!). Some are flimsies that need to be quilted and some are projects I bought a pattern and fabric for and never began. I have been holding off starting new projects (except small ones) due to the nagging voice reminding me of these projects. The curious thing is they are all projects I still love, it is not that I've lost interest in them, just got sidetracked and never got back to them. So this year I would like to finish them!

On the creative side, I would like to work on improving my machine quilting skills this year. This will require a little more patience than I've had in the past - patience to practice on muslin, not actual projects and patience to take a little more time to do a more involved quilting design instead of something "quick" to get it done. I would also like to work on more "artsy" projects - dolls, art quilts, painting on fabric, embellishments, working with fabrics other than cotton, learning new techniques, etc.

Lastly, though I don't think I can expect to make scrap quilts this year along with all of the above, I would like to start cutting for scrap quilts - Kathie always cuts for more than one quilt at a time and I would like to start doing the same as well as cutting some of my scraps into usable units. Maybe 2011 will be the year of making scrap quilts if 2010 can be the year of cutting for them!

And because I hate a post without a picture, here is a cute pic I snapped of DS and our dog Dooley. DS and his girlfriend are here for Christmas break from college and sleeping on the pull out sofa - after his girlfriend got up to go to work, Dooley jumped in her spot - I texted her and told her "you've been replaced"

image

6 comments:

Lurline said...

Great thoughts, Caryn - hope you pull some of them off! Love the pic!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Teresa said...

Good luck with your goals Caryn. I feel I should be making goals too for some reason. LOVE LOVE LOVE the photo. Dooley knew he was on to a good thing when the girlfriend got up! They don't miss a trick do they?

Talin's Corner said...

Cute picture. Hope all your plans for the new year come true.

Anonymous said...

Uh-Oh!!! ROFLOL!!! Florence

Thimbleanna said...

I love your plan! I'm guilted by my many unfinished projects. Good luck with your goals and Happy New Year!

Jenni said...

Dooley obviously isn't one to miss an opportunity!