Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I'm Exhausted!

or I was anyway! My son came home from college for Thanksgiving and brought his girlfriend and 3 friends with him. So we had 4 houseguests for the long weekend. They went to the parade in NYC on Thanksgiving and then came back for dinner - twelve of us total. The next day we went to our cousins' for a family dinner and the next night DH and I had a dinner to go to. By the time DS and his friends left on Sunday I was exhausted. I am just now recovering!

I wanted to show you a few pictures before all the Christmas prep starts- I know its already started for most of you - but not here! Knowing I was going to have that many houseguests showering in our one bathroom, which is being remodeled so there are no towel holders or hooks up - I made each guest (and DS) a towel with his or her name embroidered on it and bought one of those old fashioned drying racks. They were instructed to hang up their towel and reuse it!

Embroidered towels

They all seemed happy with their little "favors" and it did keep my bathroom and laundry a LOT more organized.

My friend Karen who is very Martha-like made us this wonderful Cornucopia out of refrigerated breadsticks:

Thanksgiving cornucopia and pilgrims

Isn't it awesome? The little pilgrims on either side I made years ago and lost them. This summer I was cleaning out the attic and found them in a box tucked in corner. I was so thrilled! I love these little things! Here is a closer look -
wooden pilgrims

Okay, Thanksgiving officially over - let the Christmas festivities begin!

Cards, tree, shopping, baking...... where do I start?????!!!!

Have a pieceful day!

6 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Love the great towels. That was such a terrific idea!

The little pilgrims are adorable. A friend of mine did some for me years ago when she was doing a lot of tole painting and they look very similar. I still display them every Thanksgiving.

Yes....let the festivities begin.

Thimbleanna said...

What a cool idea for the towels! And so funny you went to the parade. We were just talking on Thanksgiving (while watching the parade) and wondering how people can be cooking their Thanksgiving dinners while they're at the parade. Did you make your turkey ahead of time?

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh I loved when the college kids would come, they were always so much fun. I love the towls what a great idea. and your pilgrims, how could one not love their cute little faces!

Karen said...

It's a creative idea to make a cornucopia from the refrigerated breadsticks. Is there a preservative of any kind on it?

Susan said...

The towels are a brilliant idea! I bet they loved them, Caryn.

I wonder what ever happened to my wooden pilgrims and Indians that I made about 24 years ago? Maybe I need to dive into the attic!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Very cute cornucopia!!! I LOVE those towels. Just adorable!!!! Who wouldnt like those?